Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why are you such a coward? (Me too.)


Why are you such a coward?


I have a friend who tells me all about her ideas. Every couple months it’s a new one. And each time, I tell her, “Cool. That’s a really good idea.” I’m kind-of a bad friend for never mentioning that she does this every month, but I want to be supportive. I don’t want to be another person saying, “Yeah, that’s never gonna happen,”


…even if that’s what I’m thinking.


“I’m gonna start a comedy site,” she says. “I’ve been watching a lot of videos and there are so many bad sites out there. It can’t be that hard.”


And then she never does it.


Why haven’t you tried for something you desire until you can’t possibly try anymore?


What are you afraid of?


I’ve gotten to the point in my endeavors where I don’t worry about perfection, or how many people read it, or anything like that. At this point in my development, the most important part of anything I work on is doing the work. Getting it done. Every once in a while I will make something I think is good, but I’ve got to be consistent. And to be consistent, I’ve got to be persistent with the work, even through the periods of creation that aren’t at the level of expertise I want.


I might be your friend, and I might be polite about your plans, but I don’t really let those ideas stick in my head too much. It’s too easy to talk. I’m impressed by creations, even if they’re not the greatest thing in the world. I’m impressed by the gumption it takes to make something, claim it as your own, and then release it into the world for all to see.


Maybe you think that’s not something to be impressed by. If that’s the case, it’s probably been a while since you released a creation, if ever.

***

I've been working a lot on my music. Here are some highlights:

- Took a trip to Montreal (it was awesome)
- Footage from our first show here (it's not perfect)
- We finally have physical copies ready! You can order them online here



No comments:

Post a Comment